Is it possible to design work to make it as fun as baking cookies with young children?
Here’s the list of contributing factors I can think of:
- Clear expectations and shared goal – we are baking cookies!
- Positive anticipation of the outcomes.
- Sense of togetherness and camaraderie – we are doing this together.
- Transparency of shareholder desires and wants – no hidden agendas.
- The process is clearly directed and managed.
- Deviations and individual creative input is ok.
- Failures are ok. No one dies – just try again.
- The roles are clear – the grown up handles the oven-related tasks.
- It is ok to just be yourself, as long as you are present.
- The environment is suffused with tolerance, acceptance and kindness.
Now wouldn’t you want your work to be like that?