How to build a winning, creative team? Clichéd though this may be, you need to start with treating people right. There is no other way.
Humans all appreciate:
- Respect; which includes appropriate remuneration.
- The opportunity to express themselves without undue criticism and censure.
- Feeling heard and understood; even without agreement.
- Sharing goals; having sense of purpose and togetherness; feeling supported.
- Invitation to be part of an engaging vision.
- Praise, positive feedback and genuine appreciation.
- Strive for a calm environment - psychologically and physically.
- Be honest, be real and be nice.
Make people happy and they will be more creative. Even more so than putting them in highly stressful situations. "It's no accident that AHA and HAHA are spelled almost the same way." -- Mitch Ditkoff.
"Drive out fear" -- W Edwards Deming. Management by threats ,however well-veiled, is not good.